Do you feel it?! The sun, the summer adventures, are finally here! The optimism that summer holds often leads us to shedding our winter wardrobe and embracing all that the summer trends have to offer. Many of us are so excited that we forget the most important accessory, sunscreen! Research shows that the UVA & UVB rays are harmful no matter what time of year, spring, summer, fall, and yes even winter. Instead of being the buzzkill to your summer vibes, we want you to have a happy, healthy summer with these tips.
- Wear sunscreen every day in all weather and in every season. Key things to look for in a good sunscreen: It should have a sun protection factor (SPF) of 30 or more. Should have “broad-spectrum” on the label, which means it protects against the sun’s UVA and UVB rays. Make sure to put it on at least 15 to 30 minutes before going outside. Use 1 ounce, which would fill a shot glass or the palm of your hand, should be enough for the whole body. Don’t forget nose, lips, ears, and tops of your feet are prime spots for burning. We use Blue Lizard Australian sunscreen for our adventures in the sunshine!
- Reapply sunscreen at least every 2 hours or more. Too often, consumers misuse sunscreen because they believe they are adequately covered with a high SPF, “waterproof”, or “sweatproof” sunscreen and don’t reapply. Resist this temptation and lather up as soon as you get out of the water, towel dry, or have been consistently sweating.
- Wear sunglasses with total UV protection. Ideal sunglasses should block 99-100% of UVA and UVB rays. This protects your eyes as well as the sensitive skin that resides around the eye. Think of it as a way to proactively combat crow’s feet.
- Wear your protection in the form of wide-brimmed hats, and long-sleeved shirts and pants. A good rule of thumb, if you can see through it, so can the sun.
- Check your skin regularly so you can proactively notice any changes or new growths. For some great tips on giving yourself a check up at Blue Lizard’s blog, here.
- If you’re a parent, protect your child’s skin and practice the tips listed above together. We use the Blue Lizard Australian Suncream for Baby, the bottle even turns pink when exposed to the sunshine!
- Don’t use tanning beds. We know you want a base tan before that big trip, but there are other easier ways of getting a bronzed look. Not to mention that most doctors will tell you to steer clear. As if you need more of a reminder to avoid these not so delightful beds check out Redbook’s article spotlighting a woman brave enough to share her skin cancer story.